English language rock stress course will be held in Budapest on the 4th and 5th of October.
The course hosted by the Budapest University of Technology and Economics and coorganized by Golder Associates Hungary. The event aims at providing training on recent developments of rock stress and its measurement in the Earth’s Crust as well as on its applicability in science and industry.
Prof. Ove Stephansson (GFZ - German Research Centre for Geosciences, Potsdam, Germany) is an Engineering Geologist and Rock Mechanics specialized in the application of rock stress and its measurement.
Dr. Arno Zang (GFZ - German Research Centre for Geosciences, Potsdam, Germany) is a Geophysicist specialized in rock fracture mechanics and stress estimation from deep boreholes.
Prof. Frank Horváth (Department of Geophysics and Space Science, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary) is a Geophysicist specialized in Geodynamics
Venue: Room K187, Building K (Central Building), Budapest University of Technology and Economics 1111 Budapest, Műegyetem rkp. 1.
The main topics:
- Rock Stress Terminology and Definitions
- Fracture Mechanics and Rock Failure
- Measuring Crustal Stress; Borehole and Core-based methods
- Borehole Breakouts
- Hydraulic Fracturing
- Best Estimate Stress Model
- Word Stress Map and its Application to Science and Industry
- Special Topic: Geothermal Potential & Resources in Hungary
More details are here.